On April 1st, Business Property Statements are due. What is that?

You can file your Business Property Statement online: https://public.calbpsfile.org/home

If you own taxable personal property with a value cost of $100,000 or more on January 1, or if the Assessor has requested a statement be filed, the California Revenue and Taxation Code requires that every person who owns, claims, possesses, or controls business property must file a Business Property Statement (BPS) by April 1st of this year.

What classifies as business property?

Examples of taxable business property are:

• Building / Fixture / Land Improvements
• Office Furniture and Equipment, Restaurant Equipment, Forklifts, etc.
• Machinery and Equipment
• Supplies
• Tools
• Computer Hardware and Operating Systems
• Leasehold Improvements
• Property Leased to Others, Vending Machines
• Construction in Progress

How do I submit the statement?

Print and Mail:
Each year, the Board of Equalization Form 571-L MUST be completed and filed with the Assessor in the county the business property is operated or located, detailing costs of all supplies, equipment and fixtures at each location as of January 1, (lien date). The due date is April 1st. If your completed property statement is received after 5:00 p.m. on May 7th, you will be subject to a late filing penalty of 10%.

Click Here for BOE Form 571-L

File Online:
Electronic e-Filing is quick and easy at www.calbpsfile.org. The user must have an account number and a BIN number to e-File. The Assessor’s Office will send you these ID numbers every year. If the user does not have an account number and BIN number, the user can request them here. If the user has a tax preparer complete the Property Statement, the user must make sure they get the account number and BIN number to file.

Wait. I sold my business last year. What do I do?

If the business property owner has changed the mailing address, moved, sold, or closed the business, they must complete form APP149 Request for Change. It is the business property owner’s responsibility to have the most current information filed with the Assessor. Copies of the current year’s valuation can be requested with the 571-L filing. Anyone may request copies of their prior year’s filings by contacting our office either by mail or email.

Click Here for APP149 Request for Change Form

What happens if I don’t file this statement?

If any person fails to file the property statement, the Assessor’s Office is required to estimate the value of the business property and place the assessment on the tax roll with a 10% penalty for failure to file the business property statement. The Assessor’s Office shall not change an Assessor’s Estimate of value for failure to file. If the tax payer disagrees with the value placed on the tax roll due to failure to file the 571-L, they must file a timely Appeal for Equalization of the Assessment with the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors.

I need more help. Can I call you?

Yes! If you need further assistance, you can contact our office at 909-387-6666 for help. If needed, request an appointment to come into the office at 172 W 3rd Street, 5th floor, San Bernardino, CA 92415. We will help you complete the form.

Contact Information:
San Bernardino County Assessor, Business Property Division
172 W 3rd Street 5th floor
San Bernardino, CA 92415
FAX 909-387-6361

ARC Media Department

View all posts